Wednesday, June 1, 2016

I Love A Rainy Night (Not Really, But That Song Is Stuck In My Head)






Worth getting wet for? You decide.



Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva


Friday, 27 May 2016 - Don't Get Between Sylvia and Her Happy Hour!



16:00 (4:00 p.m.) - Sylvia paces, she's thinking, nay obsessing about happy hour.

Sylvia: Tom, IMPULSIVE just dropped their dinghy*. When do you want to drop our dinghy to go to shore? You want to go to happy hour, right?

Tom: Ummmm...

Sylvia: You'd better not bail on me. I could have gotten a ride with IMPULSIVE.

*(Cruiser-speak for lowering the dinghy into the water. We like to lift it out at night to keep things from growing on the bottom.)


16:30 - A squall approaches, naturally.

Sylvia: Tom, it's time to drop the dinghy! You know I like to be be in the first taxi so I don't have to wait for everyone else to get served first. 

Tom: OK OK, I'm getting there.


16:40 - Dinghy is dropped into the water and raindrops start falling.

Tom: You want to go in this squall? Let's just wait 5 minutes for it to pass.

Sylvia: No, I don't want to wait. I like to get the first taxi and get served first.

(We get in the dinghy and the drops begin to fall.)

Tom: This is crazy.


16:50 - At the dinghy dock and it's pouring rain. We're drenched.

Tom: We could have waited 5 minutes.

Sylvia: I don't think this is a 5 minute squall. And you KNOW I like to get the first...

Tom: Yeah, I KNOW.


17:15 - Regular taxi bus is not available so a replacement diesel Toyota pulls up, open air in the back. Four seats available inside. Tom and I are numbers five and six.



For some reason we don't mind sitting on the wet seats in the back. And hooray we're in the first group! (And it's still raining.)



17:30 - Happy hour Chez Rose

Guess who got served first? Beers, rum punches, cheeseburgers and fries.


18:30 - Keikahanui Pearl Lodge

The rain has subsided. Because IMPULSIVE and CINNABAR were early we have time to walk up the hill to the deluxe Pearl Lodge for their happy hour. Their usually $14.00 (!!) drinks are half price. The hostess politely shepherds our damp group outside. 

I'm sure it's a beautiful view in the daylight but with no moon out we decide to enjoy people-watching the locals who have dressed up for a night out at the lodge's restaurant and bar. I can only imagine what they think about the soggy cruisers plopped down on the patio. But they are polite and don't stare...too much. Occasionally we even get a friendly "Bonsoir!"



Tom: Getting wet was the first time I've been cool all day. Do you think if I just stay wet all the time I'll get moldy?





Enjoying the good, damp life with Morris and Debbie (IMPULSIVE, who weren't that soggy)





4 comments:

  1. Love the wet look! Those drinks look so festive and delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look GOOD all wet ~~~ Hey GO SHARKS!! Watching now for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. It's five o'clock somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a fine time was had by all, and we would have given you a ride Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete