Sunday, May 24, 2015

Cinnabar Goes Sailing - La Paz to the Islands of Loreto


Sails Up! 10-12kts TWS aft, San Jose Channel N. of La Paz. (Photo credit SV Finisterra)
My humans are, apparently, too "busy" to do a blog post, so clearly it's up to me, SV Cinnabar, to update my friends and family (whom I affectionately refer to as "My Adoring Fans").

At last!! After what seemed like an inordinately long time of prep, Tom and Sylvia finally untied me from the dock in Marina Palmira and set me free. Believe me, I have been beyond patient while my two humans have been gallivanting around Mexico and the rest of the globe, but it had been almost ONE YEAR since I was out of the marina! Hmmmph. At least the preparations included a thorough cleaning of my topsides so that I would look my best when I joined my friends Ali’I Kai, Finisterra and Telitha out at the anchorage of Ensenada Grande on the island of Espiritu Santo. (Not that I mind, but Sylvia complained almost the entire time, “Why do we need to clean her if we’re going to be in the ocean?” I notice she didn’t hesitate to do laundry and shower up prior to our departure. Hmmmmm.) 

As we approached my friends in the Ensenada Grande anchorage I was stunned at how the clear aqua water seemed to color their white hulls with the same hue of turquoise blue. Of course my hull is so shiny that, rather than absorb color, it reflects it as if I were a mirror, not that I’m bragging or anything.

Absolutely Fabulous!!

While at this anchorage my human Tom decided to do a little spearfishing. I allow him to clean his fish on my aft deck as long as he gets rid of every single fishy trace when he’s done. I don’t even allow one fish scale to remain, yuck!

Sylvia, Lisa and Leif (Finisterra) enjoy Tom's fish, cleaned on my aft deck.


As usual, I am expected to host a bacchanalian revelry. 

Ensenada Grande was a nice anchorage, but Telitha and Ali’I Kai had left the day before and I was ready to sail again. So on a nice breezy morning Finisterra and I told our humans to weigh anchor and off we headed to the fishing village of San Evaristo. Finisterra and I enjoyed sailing side-by-side from Isla Espiritu Santo back to Baja. We looked fabulous, if I do say so myself. (Note to humans: new sails? Just sayin’.)  


Buddy Boating With Finisterra (photo credit SV Finisterra)


I thought the bay of San Evaristo was picturesque, and the humans had fun dining at the quaint, outdoor restaurant... 




...but there were some pesky, huge sea lions that kept swimming around my hull, horrid brutes! After a couple of days I was more than fine with leaving and continuing up to beautiful Agua Verde. I was sad to bid farewell to my friend Finisterra, but her humans were determined to head back to La Paz to prepare for their bash back up the coast to the U.S.

Ali’I Kai, Telitha and I enjoyed the pleasant bay of Agua Verde, and the humans amused themselves by splashing about in the water and hunting fish (small - pargo, cabrilla, snapper) for dinner. Whatever floats their boat (har!) as long as they keep my aft deck clean!

One funny coincidence occurred while we were there. A couple of cute local boys paddled up to offer to take our garbage ashore for a small fee. Since the boys had the day off from school, Tom decided to utilize a large part of their free day to hold them captive and improve his Spanish. The boys were on a nice-looking SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard), which looked familiar to me. We asked where the boys got it and they replied, "Se lo llevó el mar." (The sea brought it to us). My friend Shindig lost her SUP last year, and this SUP looked suspiciously like Shindig’s, so the humans took a picture and sent it to Shindig’s human. 



Israel and Carlos on Shindig's SUP

Yes!! It was Shindig’s long lost SUP, now reconfigured as a recycling and garbage disposal water transportation unit. I’m humbly proud for what miniscule role I played in solving the mystery of Shindig’s lost SUP.

We left Agua Verde, traveled a short way up the coast, and dropped anchor in the large bay of Candeleros. I’ve always thought I  look particularly fetching in this bay next to the big, deluxe resort of Villa Del Palmar. The humans of all three boats (Ali’I Kai, Telitha and I) dinghied in to have lunch at this swank place ($180-$380 USD/night). I assume they had a good time as they returned reeking of pizza and tequila.


Tom and Sylvia (Cinnabar), Joe and Kitty (Telitha), Tony and David (Ali'i Kai), we boats are in the background

We weighed anchor and motored a few miles up to Puerto Escondido so the humans could relax for a couple of days, fuel up, and go out for one last hurrah at the new marina restaurant. I like Puerto Escondido as I usually run into some old friends there (this time Cetus, AirOps).

Puerto Escondido in the background.
Today we plan to travel up to Isla Carmen, where I hope to anchor with my friends one more night before they make the jump across the sea to San Carlos on the mainland. Luckily, my humans plan to stay on the Baja side for the summer, so I hope we’ll have a leisurely trip back down to La Paz, stopping at some fun anchorages along the way.



Happily at Anchor - Ensenada Grande (photo credit SV Finisterra)




No comments:

Post a Comment